Friday, 10 July 2009
Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Breakfast they say,is the most important meal of the day. Unfortunately, many of us neglect breakfast. And there’s a lot of evidence to suggest that your body and mind will suffer not work as brilliantly as they could do unless you have a healthy breakfast each morning.
You spend six to eight hours sleeping, by this time your body needs fuel to keep functioning. Without breakfast at home, your options to pick you up could be:
1. Too much fat
2. Too much sugar and too many carbs
3. Or worse still loads of fast food
If you are prone to skipping breakfast, here is a solution to starting the day with a good breakfast which will help you keep hunger in check as well as give you the natural energy boost to start your day.
1. Oatmeal – This food makes a good hot meal that contains lots of filling fibre to keep you from getting hungry later on in the morning. Depending on your taste, you can take five minutes to fix it on the stove or use the microwave for instant oatmeal. Kids tend to like the variety of flavours that come with instant oatmeal. The night before, put together a container of add-ins like blueberries, strawberries and bananas that can be tossed on top for a bit of antioxidant power.
2. Fruit smoothies – These are good any morning but particularly on a hot day. You’ll have to blend the ingredients together in the morning, but the prep work can be done at night. Cube your fruit and place it into a container. Instead of frozen yoghurt in the morning, use a cup of plain yoghurt. Add ice cubes, a little water and blend - lovely.
3. Egg sandwich – The eggs can be cooked the night before and placed in a sealed container. In the morning, warm up the eggs in the microwave. If you want, add some chopped veggies or shredded cheese. Serve on toasted wheat bread.
4. Yoghurt with granola and fruit – Some people like to eat yoghurt. But, yoghurt by itself won’t keep you from being hungry. Add some granola and a few blueberries to the mix. This makes a great breakfast idea for those mornings when you are running late. Keep small bags of granola and blueberries in the fridge next to the yogurt so you can grab them and run.
Are you fighting the breakfast battle? To get a filling meal you don’t have to opt for too much fat, calories or carbs. These quick and easy breakfast ideas can be made within minutes and are a much healthier alternative to skipping breakfast or grabbing a high fat alternative.